Westinghouse is a US company that started in 1886. Power and electricity have been their focus since their inception. It was founded in Pennsylvania, and at the time, was considered to be Thomas Edison’s rival in the world of electricity.
Some of Westinghouse’s earliest accomplishments include steam turbine engines, gas turbines, electric stoves, short-wave radio broadcasting and nuclear power. In 1893, they made themselves known to the world when they provided all of the lighting for Chicago’s World’s Fair.
Over time, the company adapted and started working on an array of electronics, such as home security, televisions and generators. Today, Westinghouse generators are well-known throughout the industry and they include several actual generators and related items, including:
- Portable generators that come in a wide array of power options and sizes
- All of the parts necessary to ensure that your generator continues to operate reliably and efficiently
- Transfer switches to connect your generator to your home’s power grid
While researching for this Westinghouse generator review, we learned that since 2005 when they started doing internet sales, Westinghouse has served more than 100,000 customers shopping for a generator and related items.
The primary focus of this company is emergency and backup power solutions. Westinghouse generators are diverse, so there is one for every situation and environment. This stricter focus sets them apart from their competitors.
Different Types of the Best Westinghouse Generators
As we wrote this Westinghouse generator review, we learned that this company has units in six main categories, including:
- Propane generators: These operate on propane gas. This type of fuel is typically more cost efficient, easier to store and offers better environmental efficacy. In many cases, propane generators tend to be the most reliable when an emergency occurs, especially when it is related to weather and is expected to last more than a couple days.
- Natural gas generators: This type is a good choice for backup power. You can usually connect the unit to your home using a transfer switch. With this connection, the generator will turn your power back on once it notices that the grid electricity is out.
- Whole house generator: These generators are large enough to power all of the components of your home. They generally connect to your utility power using a transfer switch. When a power outage occurs, within seconds the generator comes on and restores your electricity. After the utility power is restored, it turns itself off.
- Standby generator: This is another type of large generator. It too can operate via a transfer switch. There are various sizes so that you can find one that has enough wattage to run the electric elements in your business or home.
- Diesel generators: If you want the efficiency of diesel, this is an ideal option. In most cases, generators that run via diesel are designed for use with an RV.
- Portable generators: Portable generators are ideal for camping or when you only need to power some key items. The more powerful portable options are often a good choice when you need some electricity at a worksite.
As we compiled this Westinghouse generator review, we learned that the materials they use for their generators is something that the company is known for. Common materials for their generators include cast iron, stainless steel and aluminum. All of these are highly durable and resistant to breakage and premature wear.
Due to the materials, the units will maintain their structural integrity over the long-term. Even with frequent use, issues like cracking and rusting are usually not something that you need to worry about. They also use durable rubber and plastic for certain components, such as the no-flat wheels that are part of the wheel kits, or the built-in handles on the portable units.
Common Features of Westinghouse Generators
When we did our research for this Westinghouse generator review, we made a note of the common features you will find on their generators. These help to ensure that every generator they manufacture has everything that you need to get reliable power.
The generators manufactured by this brand are known for being quiet. This is due to the build of their engine, and many models also have a muffler to further reduce the noise that the engine emits during operation.
Westinghouse uses a variety of two-stroke and four-stroke engines, depending on the power output of their generators. They use steel and other materials for the engine’s components. To protect the engines, they incorporate features, such as low-oil shutdown and idle control capabilities that operate automatically.
Most of their generators have an overload protection feature. Because of this, you do not have to worry about adding too much wattage and your unit or the items you plug into it sustaining damage as a result. They also have circuit protection to protect against surges so that all items, no matter how sensitive, do not get too much power.
The units manufactured by Westinghouse all have a high level of fuel efficiency. You can be confident that the run-time estimates are accurate and that the fuel usage is in line with what the user’s manual states. Because of this, you can better monitor when you need to refill the fuel tank. It is also common for the units to have a fuel gauge for even easier monitoring of the fuel levels.
Other common features of this brand’s generators include:
- CARB compliance
- Control panels with simple navigation
- The ability to start the generator without hesitation when it is located in a low-temperature area
- Hour meters so that you know how long your unit has been functioning
- Simple maintenance so that your generator is easy to keep in top operating condition
- Parallel capabilities so that you can get more power out of your portable generator when it is needed
The Following Are Among the Best Westinghouse Generators
While analyzing the information for this Westinghouse generator review, we looked at numerous units manufactured by this brand. The following are the best Westinghouse generators with the highest ratings.
Westinghouse iGen2200 Portable Inverter Generator
The Westinghouse iGen2200 Portable Inverter Generator is a good choice if you want a generator that you can pick up and take with you. This generator gives you 2,200 peak watts and 1,800 rated watts. With this wattage level, you can charge your small devices and run a few other key items when the grid electricity is out.
There is a handle on the top of the unit that is easy to grab onto. This device only weighs 46 pounds, so it is easy to pick up and take with you. Due to its size, you can use it for activities like camping, or to have some power in your home during an emergency.
It operates at just 52 decibels, making it quieter than a vacuum. There is never a risk of the noise being bothersome to anyone around you.
The gas tank capacity is 1.2 gallons. This provides you with about 12 hours of run-time before you need to refill the tank. You can further the fuel efficiency of this generator by taking advantage of the Efficiency Mode capabilities of this generator.
Charge your small devices using one of the two USB outlets. This generator also features two 120-volt outlets that you can use for things like your coffee pot or to power a fan on a hot day.
Double how much power you get from this unit by taking advantage of its parallel capabilities. To use this feature, you just need a parallel cable that is compatible with this generator and a second generator. They then plug into each other so that you have more wattage for your electronics.
Westinghouse WGen7500DF Dual Fuel Generator
The Westinghouse WGen7500DF Dual Fuel Generator can operate with a propane tank or when you add gasoline to the built-in reservoir. This allows you to choose the type of fuel that is the most convenient and efficient. If you opt for gasoline, the tank can hold up to 6.6 gallons at a time.
Use this unit in numerous environments. It is a good choice for backup power at home, or you can use it to supply electricity to a worksite. You will be complying with all work-related regulations because it is CARB, EPA and CSA compliant.
This generator has an OHV engine. The four-stroke engine has enough power to run larger items. There are different wattage maximums for the two different fuel types that can run this generator. If you choose gasoline, the peak wattage is 9,500 and the rated wattage is 7,500. With propane, the peak wattage is 8,550 and the rated wattage is 6,750.
To start this generator all you have to do is push the button. The engine starts up right away without any delay. You can also choose to start the unit from a distance using the remote key fob that comes with it.
The device’s control panel is intuitive. It has three outlets, allowing you to plug in more than one item at once. Since the harmonic distortion level is low, you can charge your small devices without the risk of harming them.
This device’s engine will never sustain damage as a result of low oil. The low-oil shutdown capability ensures that it turns itself off without you needing to intervene once the generator detects that the oil level is too low.
Westinghouse WGen3600v Portable Generator
The Westinghouse WGen3600v Portable Generator has 4,650 peak watts and 3,600 running watts. On a full tank of fuel, you get about 18 hours of run time, depending on the load of the unit. Its fuel tank has a capacity of four gallons. There is also a fuel gauge so that you can quickly determine your fuel level at any time.
You get everything that you need to start using this generator right away, except the gasoline. It comes with an oil funnel, the oil for the device and a tool kit.
With a four-stroke engine, you get optimal power so that the items that you plug in operate at a reliable level. You do not have to worry about things like power surges or the level of power decreasing as the generator continues to run for several hours.
There are three outlets to plug your electronics into. Each of them has a rubber cover so that you can protect them when you are not using them. Just lift the cover to input a cord when you need to get some power. One of the outlets is RV-ready, allowing you to use this unit when you are RVing without needing any adaptors.
To start this device, you use the pull cord on the side of the unit. The recoil start gets the engine going quickly so that there is no delay in getting the power that you need.
When this generator is operating, it does so at 69 decibels. This ensures that it is not disruptive, especially if you need to use it at night for things like lights or a fan.
You can move it around with ease since it has a wheel kit. There is also a handle so that you can pull it into place.